Luther Forest and the Capital Region
Looking for real estate in Luther Forest? The Luther Forst Housing development is located within the Luther Forest managed forestry program started by Thomas C. Luther in 1898. Luther's great-grandson, Alec Mackay now manages this large pine forest plantation. This 1,400-acre site was specifically designed for semiconductor and nanotechnology manufacturing as well as other cutting-edge technologies.
People tend to look for townhomes and single-family homes for sale in Luther Forest because of it's proximity to the new AMD (Advanced Micro Devices) technology campus and other significant development occuring in Malta. Luther Forest is extremely accessible with many excellent state roads leading in and out to accommodate the 1,000's of new jobs expected in the coming years. Route 9 (running north to Saratoga Springs and south to Clifton Park), Route 67 (East to Mechanicville and Stillwater and west to Ballston Spa) and the Adirondack Northway (87) connects travelers to all points North (to Montreal) or South (to Albany and New York City).
As you drive through Luther Forest, you will see a sprawling sub-division situated directly in the middle of the Luther Forest Technology campus. Advanced Micro Devices recently announced their intention to spin-off a company called GLOBALFOUNDRIES and build a $4.6 billion state-of-the-art manufacturing facility on the Luther Forest Technology Campus.
Luther Forest offers an excellent value for the money for those looking to relocate to the area or first-time home buyers. Single Family Houses in Luther Forest sell between $220,000 and $270,000 with taxes around 4800/year. Condos in Luther Forest sell between $140,000 and $175,000 with taxes around 2400/year. The town houses can be found in various parts of Luther Forest, such as around Arrow Wood Place. The houses are a mix of Split-Level ranches, Center Hall Colonials and Contemporaries and offer a very Adirondack feel with the streets lined with towering pines.
The residents of Luther Forest are served by the Ballston Spa Central School District (Milton Terrace Elementary School, Wood Road Intermediate School, Ballston Spa Middle School and Ballston Spa High School). The high school has around 1400 students enrolled with approxiametly 92 percent of graduating of seniors graduating with Regents diplomas.
Map of Saratoga County highlighting Malta
About Luther Forest
Luther Forest is still one of the most natural, picturesque and historic sections of the Town of Malta.
Luther Forest has a history of blending nature, innovation and technology. Over the years, Luther Forest has been home to many energy and technology companies, including the Hermes Project Rocket Test site (circa 1945) and the Wright-Malta Corporation.
Communities and Points-of-Interest in Luther Forest
* Browns Beach -- A location at the south end of Saratoga Lake by the east town line.
* Country Knolls -- A hamlet at the south town line.
* David R Meager Communit Center -- A Malta community center offering senior and other cultural programs such as exercise and game rooms, theater and historic lectures.
* East Line -- A hamlet at the west town line.
* Frances Corners -- A hamlet east of Malta Ridge on Route 63.
* Malta -- The hamlet of Malta is located on Route 9 in the south part of the town.
* Malta Avenue Park -- This 188 acre park is located on the northern section of Malta and is devoted to ecology, wildlife observation, with hiking and interpretive trails.
* Malta Ridge -- A hamlet on US-9 near the center of the town.
* Maltaville -- A hamlet north of Round Lake, located on NY-9.
* Mannings Cove -- A lakeside hamlet on Saratoga Lake just north of Riley Cove.
* Plains Road Park -- A park on Plains Road at the heart fo the Luther Forest residential community offering softball and baseball fields, tennis courts, a basketball court, volleyball court, nature trail, playground with equipment and pavilions with bathroom facilities for picnics and parties.
* Riley Cove -- A hamlet on the shore of Saratoga Lake south of Manning Cove. Nicknamed 'China Town'. Many of the lakefront homes in Riley Cove are available as vacation rentals and are very popular duing the the summer months because of it's quiet setting on Saratoga Lake and proximity to Saratoga Race Course. As Malta continues to grow, Riley Cove is becoming a desireable choice for year-round residences as well.
* Round Lake -- The Village of Round Lake is on the west side of Round Lake, the Village that bears its name. The lake in the west part of the village was originally called "Tanendahowa" by the early natives of the area. The lake is linked to a smaller lake, "Little Round Lake". Round Lake can be found east off the Adirondack Northway (Route 87) at exit 11.
* Round Lake Airport (W57) -- A small grass runway airport east of Round Lake.
* Saratoga Lake Association -- The primary association that exists to promote and enhance the health, safety, ecology, recreation and environmental quality of the Saratoga Lake area through education, and environmental action.
* Shenantaha -- This 61-acre park contains a soccer, volleyball, basketball tennis, playgrounds and pavilions for picnics and parties. Luther Forest and other Malta residents enjoy the foot trails along the County Zim Smith Trail lead to a beautiful stream and a quiet wooded setting.